THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Barack Obama is our next President.

I truly believe that.

Remember his words back at the 2004 DNC?

In the end, that’s what this election is about. Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or do we participate in a politics of hope?

John Kerry calls on us to hope. John Edwards calls on us to hope.

I’m not talking about blind optimism here -- the almost willful ignorance that thinks unemployment will go away if we just don’t think about it, or the health care crisis will solve itself if we just ignore it. That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about something more substantial. It’s the hope of slaves sitting around a fire singing freedom songs; the hope of immigrants setting out for distant shores; the hope of a young naval lieutenant bravely patrolling the Mekong Delta; the hope of a millworker’s son who dares to defy the odds; the hope of a skinny kid with a funny name who believes that America has a place for him, too.

Hope -- Hope in the face of difficulty. Hope in the face of uncertainty. The audacity of hope!

In the end, that is God’s greatest gift to us, the bedrock of this nation. A belief in things not seen. A belief that there are better days ahead.

I believe that we can give our middle class relief and provide working families with a road to opportunity.

I believe we can provide jobs to the jobless, homes to the homeless, and reclaim young people in cities across America from violence and despair.

I believe that we have a righteous wind at our backs and that as we stand on the crossroads of history, we can make the right choices, and meet the challenges that face us.

America! Tonight, if you feel the same energy that I do, if you feel the same urgency that I do, if you feel the same passion that I do, if you feel the same hopefulness that I do -- if we do what we must do, then I have no doubt that all across the country, from Florida to Oregon, from Washington to Maine, the people will rise up in November, and John Kerry will be sworn in as President, and John Edwards will be sworn in as Vice President, and this country will reclaim its promise, and out of this long political darkness a brighter day will come.


The audacity of hope. I fucking love that. How dare we see a better future for ourselves? What boldness to question our current state of inertia. How brave to embrace change.

This is dissent. A notion Americans don't nearly practice as much as we should. Barack Obama is a modern rebel. He's the Billy Idol of politics! He's making you believe, isn't he?

I feel those massive steel wheels scraping and grinding on the track, sparking and revving, steam billowing. Even enveloped in smoke I can see it coming.

Choo choo, baby.

2 comments:

S said...

I hope you're right! It's hard for me to believe, living as I do in Phoenix, the heart of McCain country. . .

JenBun said...

YES!

Just, yes.