THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Dostoevsky's got nothing on history.


I've finally finished reading this.

And it only took me six months.

The wait was worth it. Their story was perfectly macabre, plagued with inumerable dirty, Russian secrets. Everything Russian completely fascinates me.

Those beautiful, thick, heavy accents. The biting cold and filthy snow crowded with ragged serfs begging for food. Autocracy and despotism. The jewelry of the monarchy. We're talking about some serious rubies, people. History parading as fiction. Because nothing so incredible could ever be true. They got me hook, line and sinker with that.

I was totally swept away in it. I haven't been this captivated by a book in a long time.

2 comments:

dmbmeg said...

One of my favorite things to read about in history is the Russian Revolution. I'll check this out after I read Harry Potter of course.

country roads said...

I had a class once in Russian Lit..and it was in February and snowed for like 3 weeks on and off. It was the perfect backdrop for those stories.