THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Hallelujah!

Now that the quiet after the Funfest storm has rolled in, it really gives me time to think about what's important. And obviously what's important is John Mayer. Thank you Cajun for reminding me of that.

John Mayer inspires in me what religion inspires in most people. Faith in themselves, belief in a higher being, purpose in life. His liner notes are my Bible, Torah, Qur'an.

I select passages and apply them to my own life:

"I wonder sometimes about the outcome of a still verdictless life. Am I living it right?

"So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young."

"Belief is a beautiful armor, but makes for the heaviest sword. Like punching under water, you never can hit who you're trying for."

This is the Tao of John. Fuck Machiavelli, fuck Aquinas, fuck Voltaire. The best manifesto for my money is deftly titled, Continuum. It's written in the chords between C and G. Disseminated over radio waves.

It's perfect.

A few weeks ago I saw him perform at Northerly Island here in Chicago, which made it the fourth time I've seen him live. I was in NYC in March and Don and I got tickets to see him at Madison Square Garden.

Ever been to an Evangelist service? Talk about spiritual enlightenment. I'd let him spread my gospel any day.

The sheer talent JM possesses is staggering. The way his fingers fly across the strings of some broken in guitar. As a woman, it makes me wonder what else those fingers can do.

His set lists are my commandments. His lyrics, my New Testament.

I challenge you not to drop your jaw when the Jumbotron closes in on his guitar solo during the encore of "Belief". Such passion, such inspiration.

So when those internal struggles get too intense, when my moral compass spins akimbo and all reasoning goes out the window, I find peace in my iPod...

Playlist John 3:16.

4 comments:

dmbmeg said...

"I wonder sometimes about the outcome of a still verdictless life. Am I living it right?

I laugh every time I read this line. I was talking to Ria, and she said she loved it, but didn't get why he kept on asking, "Am I living in Rye?"

FYI, Rye is a suburb of New York in Westchester.

Priceless.

The Cajun Boy said...

you're welcome!

Anonymous said...

Hey, just found your blog through comments on a different one.

Anyway, I've been totally hooked on his Continuum album since I saw him in Grant Park on the 4th. Fucking blues brilliant. I think Dreaming with a broken heart is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard.

Hellafied said...

Mortarbored: You can be the VP of the fan club.

I'll make t-shirts.