THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 18, 2009

Calling All Writers!

I need help.

I am piecing together a new work to submit for publication. I have about 100 pages of material right now, I am just having trouble coming up with a cohesive way to tie everything together.

Here's what I envision:

An anthology of creative non-fiction pieces (mine) that are chronologically tied together. Has a diary-like feel, each entry separated by date. Not every piece is long. Some are one liners, some are three pages. In total, I'd like it to be about 150 pages.

My working title is "Weaving a Basketcase". I have a couple of subtitle options I am toying with. I don't even know if a subtitle is necessary.

Possible subtitles:

The Anatomy of a Break-Up
The Diary of a Hopeless Romantic
A Compilation of Notes to Myself
Blogging Myself Whole Again


Most of the pieces are posts from my blog from 2003 - Present and most of them have to do with my love life.

What I am struggling with is if this will even be readable. If you have read me before, please leave your comments.

Or, if you promise to be constructive, I will send you a copy of the working manuscript and you can tell me your thoughts. I am particularly having trouble with the transitions between posts/pieces. I don't know if people will have a hard time following the chronology, even with the date.

This is something I've wanted to compile for a while now; I just don't know if it's possible or how I would even begin to make it cohesive.

Any help you can give is much appreciated!

Thanks. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it needs a subtitle.

And everything you write is extremely readable.

Anonymous said...

I see you have been to lots of weddings throughout and as this is seemingly about love lost, longing etc. perhaps using each wedding as a sort of framework.

Example Chapter:
"Not My Wedding #3: Coworker Friend/Bitch (sorry that's mean)"

and then some exposition about your duties responsbilites, thoughts on this one leading into your blog stuff. Actually it would be amusing to read about the weddings from someone celebrating but also grating against them, subtely of course in your most excellent style.

Just beware of too much inwardness. Remember the Three Stooges are way more popular than Keats.

Good luck!

Jillianne said...

I'm a new reader to your blog, but I have to go with Peter, I think it would sound better without a subtitle.

Your writing is good, so mostly I think letting it stand on it's own merits is best. The concept you have seems sound, it might be just formatting it a way your happy with. It can be difficult to find a way to frame these things. If you need to run it by someone random I'm happy to help.

Anonymous said...

i've been reading you since like 05 or so, a lot of your writings are very good. very readable. and if you label it as blog writting, then as people read, they will understand the time frame. i think. sorry, i don't really have much else. just that i look forward to reading more. good luck. yay you!

laura said...

I dont think a subtitle is necessary either...but hit a sista up with the manu and see what i think? i would really love to read it and you know i will be constructive...hello? tori amos by candelight? need i say more?

Hellafied said...

Thank you to everyone for your comments.

Anonymous said, "Remember the Three Stooges are way more popular than Keats."

That's what I was worried about. I reread the manuscript last night and though it made sense to me, I feel like it would just be plain depressing to anyone else.

I don't want people to think I stuck my head in an oven after reading it, though the comparison to Sylvia Plath would be flattering.

Simply put, I write more when I'm sad. There's just more of that material. When I'm happy I'm out living my life, not writing about it.

Man, this is gonna take years to do right.

Sid said...

Just read your piece over at Indie's and I'm completely in awe of you. Seriously. Whatever you come up with for the book ... well I'm sure it will be incredible.

8 said...

I'm with Sid-subtitle or no, I'm in.