THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 23, 2008

Memories like fingerprints...

I just finished watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind on HBO. Am I the only person who thought it was so sad? I cried through a lot of it (not that that's a real feat because I cry through Jif commercials), but I kept wondering what kind of heartbreak does a person have to go through to want to erase another person from their memory? How much love do you have to feel you wasted on another person to never want to remember their face? It affected me. I won’t give anything away, but watching the two characters struggle with leaving those memories behind was fucking heart wrenching. I guess that’s the point though.

I’m taking it all to the grave with me. Every tear-stained, miserable, anger-inducing, I-Can’t-Live-Anymore, self esteem shattering, awful memory I can hold onto. And I’ll collect them like a miser along the way, selfishly hoarding them to relish when I’m old and unintelligible, reliving each delicious moment with a god damn smile on my face. It will be this mental slide show that will tell me I really lived.

8 comments:

Rambler said...

its one of the movies which I liked a lot. I generally don't like mushy movies, but it had emotions hidden just in the right amounts, and it does speak a secret language I thought.

I think the best scene to me was the one in the library when the two characters are trying to escape from being wiped out, and you get to see racks of books being wiped out, and the two struggling to runaway ...great scene

Tia said...

word.

JenBun said...

I agree. The bad is all worth it because of the GOOD.

Even though there are things I don't like to think about, there is NOTHING I ever want to forget.

(And I cried through most of it, too.)

Pragmacat said...

There is only one relationship I've had that wasn't worth it, and that's because it was emotionally abusive. It is the only time I feel that my love has been wasted.

Cunning_Linguist said...

In the end the only thing one can really take with them is the memories,no?

Regret NOTHING in life. Realize it or not, it has helped make you who you are. No appreciation of sun without rain, elation without sorrow. No regrets, no apologies.

Andrea said...

i love this movie... and i cry every time.

akRunner said...

I friend made me watch the movie and it has since become one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

memories torture me like crazy :-(. I am even writing a book about it :-)